Saturday, May 22, 2010

With a little help from a dog, he finally stopped drinking...

Sometimes it takes a dog to do a job that nobody else can do. Heal.

My brother was out of control, drinking, and whatever else, after his father died. He and his father were close, and the morning he found him lying on the floor, his body already cold, my brother stopped caring about himself or anyone else.
He had always had a dog, he's an animal lover. He's also always had cats and rescued anything that was wounded, hungry or in need.
This time he would be rescued by an animal, and his wounds are beginning to heal already.
Jambar died too.
After going through what all us pet lovers do, we take our animals to the end and drop them off with God, thanking them for all their time and patience with us.
My brother stayed up all night with his last dog who was dying. He buried her, his long time companion, out in the yard.
There would never be another dog like her: at least that's what he thought only a few months ago.
After the death of his dog, his fiance worried about his drinking, he started to get himself together. Nobody could tell him to stop drinking, he needed a reason.
Being that we are 1/8 Canadian Cree, my brother had always had an interest in the North American Indians.
He arranged while separated from his fiance, to go to a pow wow out of town. He had decided to get a dog, but did not know what dog. The Lake Isabella animal shelter had a nice, big, doggy my brother took a liking to, but he never made up his mind.
Then he saw an ad for a half chow and coyote. His former dog was half coyote and that interested him.
He found out that this dog who is more Sharpe than chow, was only miles from the Indian reservation he was heading to.
Kiah has made all the difference in his life, as she came along and latched onto my brother, his dog, you can tell.
She's a young dog, full of energy, and my brother cleaned the whole yard for her, raising fences, making it dog friendly.
He's been sober for almost three months now, and every time I think of his dog Kiah, which means "love," I thank her with all my heart for helping heal my brother's heart.
Now, my boy, Walter the Boxer, known for his liking of little dogs, has a friend his own size to play with. My brother brings Walter with he and Kiah so they can play and romp and then, as I appreciate, sleep soundly.
Walter is definitely already attached to Kiah and they will be long time friends I'm sure.
We are all in Kiah's debt for her presence that has brought about a great change in my brother. And Walter, who lost his best friend last year, Johnny Rotten, is happy to have her around too...
Here's some pix of her and Walter doing their romping dog thing...











And the chase is on...

No comments: